When it comes to food, often times consumers consider the convenience, quality and nutritional factors associated with the product. However, consumers are often unaware of the controls and requirements that must be put into place in order to safely process food. In the food and dairy industries, companies must be aware of the sanitizing agents and overall conditions within the facility so as not to invite unwanted issues.
One of the main issues in the industry is the abuse that floors receive. In dairy and food processing facilities, brick and tile floors are subject to intense thermal shock, harsh sanitizing agents and mechanical abuse. Some general operating conditions found in these facilities are:
- Floors are always wet – subjected to frequent spills
- Ambient air temperatures are cool, usually between 40oF (4oC) and 50oF (10oC)
- Sanitization is a high priority to reduce potential of bacterial contamination
- Requires an aesthetic appearance and easy to clean / sanitize floor system
- Subjected to frequent tractor / trailer traffic, impact from hose couplings, lactic acid, frequent wash downs.
Given these intense conditions, reliable floor systems must be able to:
- Hold up to a wide range of sanitizing agents
- Prevent bacterial contamination
- Contain grouts that will withhold hot water thermal shock or low temperatures
- Have slip resistance
Atlas Minerals and Chemicals recognizes the industry standards for food processing, dairy and other beverage facilities. With a ride range of brick/tile, coating, lining and setting materials, we can address and solve problems in this industry. From truck/loading stations, Clean In Place (CIP) rooms, cooler rooms, or production and filling rooms, Atlas Minerals has the materials to withstand high demand environments.
For some basic information on potential floor solutions from Vitrified tile to coating and lining solutions, click here. If you are in the North or South Carolina territory, do not hesitate to reach out and we will be happy to help.